I didn’t plan on making a post for this, mainly because this is basically the same recipe (minus some spices) as my Fat Free Spiced Banana Bread Muffins, but these just ended up tasting SO SO SO GOOD that I just NEEDED to share in case someone else was in the same boat as me and found themselves missing a couple ingredients.
Because I’m at school right now, I don’t have a fully-stocked pantry. Which means that a couple of things that I don’t have are brown sugar and whole wheat flour. Whatever could I do?
I just replaced the brown sugar with white sugar and the whole wheat flour with white flour. Not that difficult. But still just as delicious!
I also had something that I don’t normally have at home: cinnamon chips. It was a no-brainer, really.
These come out to about 1.5 Weight Watchers points per muffin with regular sugar, which means that it’s 3 points for 2 muffins. If you replace the sugar with a sugar-substitute, that would make it 0.6 points per muffin! Keep in mind that the kind of applesauce that you use will also affect the point value. Natural, unsweetened applesauce is less points. I used home-made. Check out my recipe for that here. The maple syrup is also totally optional, but I like the taste. I usually cut back on the granulated sugar by 1/4 cup when I use it.
Healthy Fat-free Cinnamon Chip Banana Mini Muffins (3 WW pts/2 muffins)
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 25-35 min
Makes 24 mini muffins
- 2 extra-ripe bananas
- 1 cup white granulated sugar (or 1 cup Splenda/other sugar substitute)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4-1/2 cup cinnamon chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl.
- Add in sugar and mix.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and gently mix until just combined.
- Fold in cinnamon chips. Do not over-mix.
- Let bake for ~25-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.